As the name suggests this curry is made with a fixed number of vegetables. It is usually in odd numbers, 7 vegetables or 9 or even 11 sometimes. Though I’m not aware of the significance of these numbers, I’m sure they meant something. Interesting way to add a wide variety of vegetables to your plate, that too oil-free!
- Potato: ¼ cup (cut in cubes)
- Eggplant: ¼ cup (cut in cubes)
- Broad beans: ¼ cup (cut in cubes)
- Yellow pumpkin: ¼ cup (cut in cubes)
- Ash gourd: ½ cup(cut in cubes)
- French beans: ¼ cup (cut in cubes)
- Carrot: ¼ cup (cut in cubes)
- Yam: ¼ cup (cut in cubes)
- Sweet potato: ¼ cup (cut in cubes)
- Peanuts: ¼ cup (boiled)
- Tamarind: lime sized ball
- Turmeric: ½ tsp
- Rock salt: to taste
- Hing: a pinch
- Jaggery: 1 tsp
For spice mix
- Coriander seeds: 2tbsp
- Chana dal: 2 tbsp
- Urad dal:1 tbsp
- Black sesame:1 tbsp
- Rice: 1 tsp
- Red chilli: 4
- Fenugreek seeds: ¼ tsp
- Pepper: ¼ tsp
- Fresh coconut: ½ cup(grated)
- Mustard seeds: ½ tsp
- Red Chilli: 1 no
- Urad dal: ½ tsp
- Curry leaves: 1 sprig
- Cut all vegetables into even sized cubes.
- Soak tamarind in 1cup of water. Extract pulp and discard strings seed and peel.
- To make the spice mix, dry roast grated coconut until light brown on a slow flame.
- Roast all other ingredients on a slow flame, adding sesame seeds after the other ingredients are roasted.
- Grind the roasted ingredients into a powder. Once powdered, add water and blend to get a paste.
- In a pan, place yam and sweet potato cubes and add ½ cup water and cook covered until half cooked.
- Add the other vegetables and add ½ cup water, salt, boiled peanuts, turmeric, and hing and cook until all the vegetables are cooked but don’t lose shape or get mushy.
- Add tamarind extract and bring to a boil.
- Add the spice paste and jaggery and mix well.
- Cover and simmer for 5 mins allowing the gravy to thicken.
- Dry roast all tempering ingredients and add just before serving.
- Vegetables are added at different stages to ensure even cooking.
- You can add extra water or reduce the water to get the preferred consistency.
- Food group Vegetables, lentil, and nut
- Veggies are loaded with enzymes and high water content. They aid in digestion and act as a daily dose of vitamins and minerals.
- Nuts provide good fats and protein for the body.