Very often we accost hunger pangs with specific desire to eat something tangy and spicy during the evenings. This is the time we could stray away from our healthy eating habits.
Here is a no-cook snack that’s healthy, tasty and wholesome.
Made with vegetables and poha and spices of your choice. It is quiet a flexible recipe. Use your own imagination to vary the taste.
- Poha/ beaten rice: ½ cup
- Mixed vegetables: ½ cup (finely chopped)
- Green chilli and ginger paste: 1 tbsp
- Fresh coconut: ¼ cup (grated)
- Coriander leaves: 2 tbsp (finely chopped)
- Sesame seed powder: 1 tbsp
- Rock salt: to taste
- Lime juice: 1 tbsp
- Jaggery powder: 1 -2 teaspoon.(optional)
- Sesame seeds: for garnish
- Rinse poha in cold water and drain immediately.
- Finely chop or grate the vegetables. I used carrot, cabbage, capsicum.
- Add salt to the vegetable mix and leave aside for 5 minutes for it to leave water.
- Mix the vegetables and all other ingredients together with a kneading action.
- Shape it into cutlets or tikkis.
- They are ready to be served with sweet chutney and green chutney.
- Choose poha of medium thickness. Too thin will make it soggy.
- You could also use grated yellow pumpkin, crushed fresh green peas or grated cauliflower for vegetables.
- Use dry spices like jeera powder, dhaniya powder, chaat masala etc to vary the taste.
- · Food group: Grains &vegetables
- Vegetables, when eaten in raw form are your best friends with every meal. Loaded with enzymes and high water content, they aid digestion. They get absorbed easily by the body, providing health at the cellular level. Add them liberally in your daily meals.
- Rich in fiber, raw veggies consumed as salads facilitate weight loss!
- With the balance of carbohydrates and vegetables and the right mix of spices this dish can satisfy snack cravings.